Wednesday, March 22, 2006

St. Thomas: Episode 4: Bay Day

Our plans for Saturday were to visit the St. Peter Greathouse in the morning and Magen's Bay in the afternoon. This worked out well because the morning was hazy and not ideal beach weather but by noon everything was bright and sunny.

St. Peter Greathouse is a beautiful tropical estate near the highest point in St. Thomas. We just wandered around enjoying the views and the flowers then relaxed under a gazebo while drinking tropical punch. We did have a little drama to begin the visit when I suddenly said, "Turn here!" so Dad did and wound up with one wheel stuck over the curb. Fortunately, he was able to get unstuck fairly easily once the rest of us got out of the car. Anyways, on with the day... As we headed towards Magen's Bay, we took the opportunity to stop at Drake's Seat where Sir Francis Drake supposedly watched his ship's travel through "Drake's Passage."

We got to Magen's Bay, reportedly one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world, just in time for lunch but nothing exotic. After lunch, I rented some snorkel gear and Chris took me snorkeling. I had such a difficult time getting started I couldn't do anything but laugh. I finally gave up trying to put the goggles over my glasses and that worked much better. I was close enough to the marine life too see most stuff pretty well, and I held my glasses as I swam around to get an occasional better view. The wierdest thing was swimming through a giant school of 2-inch translucent white fish. I saw just a few colorful fish, several white fish the size of sandwich plates, sea fans, spiny urchins and I even managed to spot a sea cucumber!

No comments: