Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Oktoberfest 2005

Oktoberfest was as wonderful as always. It was nice to have new costumes again and dance in our kilted skirts. (Come to think of it I never mentioned my new skirt here. How did that happen? I got a beautiful Royal Stewart kilted skirt made by Edinburgh Woolen Mills on E-Bay for less than $20 including shipping. It was all I could talk about for the week after I got it.) So, anyways, back to Oktoberfest... The performance went great. Laurabelle was actually able to do all the dances she was going to do before breaking her wrist except for the one she broke her wrist in.

A little on our program...

O! My America! - Originally written by Scots immigrating to America. We learned this dance after Hurricane Katrina in honor of the way Americans came together to help each other. This dance features Schiehallion's Reel - a figure like a Grand Chain without touching. My partner: Lara.

Lost in Edinburgh - We danced this in honor of the adventure I mentioned in the last post when Beth broke her wrist. My partner: Brian.

Belle of Bon Accord - Beth and I learned this Strathspey at the dance class we visited in Strathaven, Scotland. My partner: Lance.

Quarrie's Jig - A complicated dance several "learned" after I left Scotland, but no one really learned it until Beth sat down and made sense of it for herself and taught it to us back in Tulsa. I didn't dance this one.

Preston Mill - A very new 5-couple dance Beth introduced after several travelers visited this National Trust of Scotland site. I was the alternate, but Laurabelle was up for dancing.

Hebridean Weaving Lilt - A unique dance performed to mouth, or waulking, music and danced as a running step rather than the usual skipping or strathspey step. This dance features an intricate weaving/unweaving figure that the audience really liked (judging by their applause). My partner: Sara.

No comments: