Monday, August 22, 2005

Golf Interlude

I was thinking to myself yesterday afternoon that Firestone Country Club is one of my favorite courses to watch the professional golfers play each year, and today's pgatour.com quote of the day reveals that at least one pro agrees with me:

"I don't think there's a better golf course we play all year to tell you the truth, other than Augusta National." -- Chris Dimarco
My Thinking Man's Golf (3M) game uses Firestone's signature 16th hole as its par 5 7th hole. This hole is the hardest one for me in the game and it's also one of the hardest holes for the pros on tour. (I believe it ranks 8th hardest this year.) Not only that, only the best pros even get a chance to play it each year. If a full field played the hole, it would almost definitely rank even harder. It's simply a beast, and it is fun to see how the pros play it. On Sunday, Sergio Garcia was the only player to go for the green in two and that was probably just because he didn't have so much to lose after double bogeying 14. All in all, despite the poor scores on Sunday, the NEC Invitational at Firestone is a great tournament to watch.

No comments: